Tuesday, June 8, 2010


I took this week off to get my CME's completed. So far, that's not going too well. Instead, I was up and out early this morning to try my luck on lovely little Waterloo Lake in downtown Denison. I've lived here almost seven years, and have never launched a boat or wet a hook on that little jewel. She's generally a little crowded on weekends, and I'm not much for crowds. . The day started off with the accidental impalement of my right hypothenar eminence (the fleshy part of the hand behind the little finger) with a yellow popping bug. Of course, I had no tools with me so I rousted Tam up and out-she brought wirecutters, pliers, water, neosporin and band-aids. I love that woman.
So, without further delay-off I went. Todays' choice of boat deserves a little mention. When I was about ten years old, Sears came out with the first of the Gamefisher boats. Twelve feet long, green fiberglass-about two hundred bucks. I daydreamed of owning one of those little boats my whole childhood. Like the persistent widow, I politicked my dad without ceasing. Alas, it was to no avail. I never did get a Gamefisher. A few years ago, though, I saw one for sale on the now defunct (and much lamented ) Texas Fly Report. Twelve feet, with a trailer-two hundred bucks. It's a seventy-two model, and I bought it from Charlie Decoteaux, well-known fly tyer and fisherman from Plano. Apparently, it was a Katrina survivor, and had made it's way to Plano via a series of brother-in-law trades. Anyway, now she's mine. With a little minn-kota on the stern, I can cruise little bodies of water with style and comfort. She only leaks a little.

In case you didn't know, Waterloo is absolutely full of stunted sunfish-I must have caught fifty or sixty of 'em in about two hours. The park itself is wonderful-nice ramp, good parking, restrooms, picnic tables. There is an excellent running/biking trail of about a mile and a half, and then a paved walking trail of about .6 miles. Tucker loves Waterloo-he even gets off the leash. I was home by eight thirty, made an omelet, and entered this report. Now-on to some CME.

1 comment:

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.