Sunday, May 6, 2012

In the Arms of God-Part II

Okay-here are some fish.  Today's were all taken on a yellow Boone's frog, in a tough post-spawn period with rising water and thirty mph winds from the south.  Some strikes were aggressive, others were half-hearted.  No fish at all until about ten o'clock, which meant we had left some promising smallmouth waters in our rear view mirror.
Above is a view of Indian Creek, where the oldest human remains found in the US were discovered.  Turns out they were Asian. We pulled in here for our lunch break, and were entertained by two juvenile spotted bass who cruised up and down nookin po nub.  I had a pastrami sandwich from the Czech Stop-I would have taken a photo, but I wolfed it down too quickly.  Delicious!  Read about the Horn Shelter here:  http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/horn/


Water still a little murky from last night's release.
Two solid bass.  Probably a spot and a largemouth.
A great trip, an easy drive, and a comfortable night in the Czech Inn in West, Texas.  I found out that a lightweight jon boat is a more efficient way to traverse these shallow Texas Rivers, more suited to my style.  Much more comfortable for my creeky old back, easier to stand in, capable of carrying more gear, much better visibility than hunkered down in my kayak.
Trusty Boone's frog, none the worse for wear.  

No comments: